Thursday, February 26, 2009

I saw the opposite ends of a spectrum today.

Oh my word it's been a doozie.

I had an appointment at 9am today to follow up on some lingering, festering, debilitating tax crap downtown. And it was all downhill from there.

Traffic was awful, I was running late, and the security people hassled me fiercely about the mini-utility knife on my keychain (that miraculously didn't set off any alarms when my keys were in my pocket last week!?). What was supposed to be a run-of-the-mill groaner of a morning turned into an almost total disaster, and I don't want to go into it other than to say I had a badged and armed federal security dude get up in my face and threaten to arrest me: but it ended up being OK because, FOR REAL: the man who helped me take care of my taxes today was totally and completely cool.

I came in to his cubicle/office so frazzled by the security situation, which, in the interest of full disclosure was exacerbated by the fact that I was exacerbated by traffic, my life in general, and by the exacerbating security people. Two of them were actually quite patient and understanding (i think? they may have been putting me on) but two others were straight out of Central Casting, all super-aggro and entirely over-the-top caricatures of themselves, giving me more shit for nothing at all than I or anyone ever deserved...and i reacted. ANYWAY, when I sat down at the nice man's desk, in tears and clearly ready to break down, he immediately handed me chocolates and some tissues.

HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!?!?

Then, one of the first things out of his mouth was that he was going to "Help me get the monkey off my back." So, of course I had to mention this here lil' blog, and then the next thing he said was "you know what the best monkey ever is, don't you?" and while I tried to muster up some guesses, he said that the best monkey ever was the Trunk Monkey. And, well, I had to disagree with him there, because the people who put out that ad are the same people who fired me this month and so I think he and you, dear reader, can understand. I can't even dignify the mention with a picture, though there are plenty floating around on the web. Those commercials were--and are still--real darn funny, but one can understand why I have hard feelings...

After that we got down to business, got my taxes filed, made a plan for takin' care of bizness, and then I was on my way. And I did NOT look at the security guys as I left. I'm afraid I would've stuck my tongue out or given them a single-finger salute if I even for a millisecond caught their eye. But, I did NOT look. I did the RIGHT thing, and SUCKED IT UP, and left quietly and peacefully without incident. And as I walked past the trash container in which I had to throw away my little knife, I did not even cringe. I sent Dana a text message about yesterday instead. so there.

Anyway, Thank you so much Mr. Very Nice Tax Man! If you are reading this I want you to know that it meant a WHOLE lot to me as a person that you showed me such kindness, patience and understanding today when I really truly needed it! 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment